Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Sun in February


February 1st was a spectacular day - one of those days when you know for certain that the sun is getting higher and the light stronger the instant you get out into an open field on snowshoes. I love the geometry of the corn stalks and their blue shadows on the snow and the tracks of the crows that show their toenails dragging through the snow in the soft places. Several Eastern Bluebirds were communing with some robins in a sheltering swale, feasting on wild grapes and bittersweet berries. Some small grey bird is roosting at night in the hollow tree - see the tiny feathers clinging to the wood at the edge of the very round hole.


Some watercolor painting is in order - the blues are too beautiful ....



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the hollow tree alive with life. I don't think I would have seen that even if I did notice the hollow hole.